Friday, July 1, 2011

When bad things happen to good paint jobs


I almost titled this blog post "When bad things happen to good people".  But that sounded really overly dramatic and I feel like right now I could write a book on that actual subject and it would be a really sad one.  So...on to paint jobs. 

If you know me and we have ever had a conversation (sober) that lasted for more than about 20 minutes, you will know that I completely adore the blog Young House Love.  Like, it is a borderline unhealthy relationship with this blog and I.  Like, I almost don't want to even tell you about it as I will start to have feelings of jealousy and I will worry that if the Petersiks have any more stalkers (besides me) they may get scared and stop posting and then WHAT WILL I DO?!?  Ok, I will try to share them with you.  Seriously though, if this is not a blog you read, you should.  Especially if you have any interest in DIY home improvement projects, interior design, or chihuahas.  You will begin to notice that I take a lot of my "ideas" straight from either their current or their previous house.  The color we are painting all of our main living spaces?  The same one they used.  The paintbrush I bought to paint the trim?  Sherry's favorite.  A little hint about our entry way light that is yet to come?  It possibly hangs in their bedroom.  Burger is on the list of names for our future cat.

What does my internet crush have to do with the bad luck we are having painting the trim?  Sherry and John were having very similar misfortune at their house trying to paint wood paneling!  And this is what I love about reading this blog.  Home improvement (and blogging about it) is their full time job, so they did all the work to figure out how to fix their problem and I think it could potentially fix my problem too!  The trim that mom and I have painted so far, with paint+primer in one, is turning a yellowish color in places where we didn't quite get all the varnish or varnish remover taken off.  I think we may just need to go purchase some stain blocking primer and at least put it in the places where the discoloration is taking place.  Although the bummer of the deal is that the Petersiks say that the paint can continue to discolor for up to six months.  Yikes.  I guess we will take our chances and keep the primer around for touch ups.  The yellowing isn't super noticeable and the effect of the white trim is amazing, but I'd like for it to be at its very best.  So, thanks a million, imaginary-blog-bff's!

No comments:

Post a Comment