Sunday, July 31, 2011

Should I share a recipe??? Why not?!?

I have been trying to make a very concentrated effort to change a few of my eating habits lately.  Not really for weight loss (although that is never a negative side effect of any change!) but more for the purpose of being a good role model to Willa, to have more energy, and to make good use of the things that are coming out of our garden and from the farmer's market.  I am a big fan of the "clean eating" movement, however I am just not dedicated enough to say I do it with consistency.  I am also a vegetarian (who sometimes eats seafood but avoids butter and cow's milk).  And thirdly, I have a huge sweet tooth, especially when it comes to baked goods like cupcakes, muffins, and scones.  I would kill for a scone right now.
Some of the changes that I am really focusing on for now, until they become habit and I can pick some new ones to work on, are:
-drinking TONS of water.  I used to be really bad about drinking water.
-having green tea at least once a day.  I love the stuff, and I feel like taking the time to make tea helps me to slow down for a bit during a busy day.
-having protein with each meal.  Whether it be eggs, hemp protein powder, almond butter, beans, tofu, or seafood.  Get it in there!
-Making the largest portion of at least one meal a day be veggies.  Lots of veggies.  I've really been digging bell peppers, kale, and zucchini.

I'd say these things are allllmost ingrained in my day.  Some things I'd like to work on next are buying more organic and local produce, limiting sweets to things that people have baked and that look delicious rather than just sweets that are available, and getting back into making green monsters for breakfast.  If you've never had a green monster, those things are like crack smoothies.  I always feel so happy and energetic after I have one!  For some reason, I get annoyed with having to use the magic bullet to make them though.

Now, you know way too much about my eating habits.  Let me share with you something really easy that I made and popped into the freezer for when I am too rushed for breakfast, or for when I need something sweet and chocolatey.  I found the general idea for this recipe here.  I just sort of picked and chose what I wanted in my protein bars and this is what I ended up with:
2 mushy bananas, 2 cups oatmeal, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, a handful of dried cranberries, a handful of mini chocolate chips, a big spoonful of almond butter, 2 heaping spoonfuls of hemp protein, 1 spoonful of ground flax, a few dashes of cinnamon, a tiny bit of vanilla extract and then enough agave and coconut oil to make the mixture sort of "wet."  Just a drizzle of both.  I mashed all these things together and then pressed the mixture into a cookie sheet.  I stuck the cookie sheet into the freezer for about an hour and then cut the mixture into bar shapes.  Wrapped them individually in saran wrap and put them back into the freezer.  They are really good.  The blog I borrowed the recipe from has a whole list of other ingredient options.  I would like to try them with dates and maybe with a little instant coffee.  Or maybe a variation that makes them seem like carrot cake?!?  Oooooh.  I just thought of that!  The picture below is from the yoga blog, but mine actually looked pretty much just like that.

1 comment:

  1. Green tea and nuts are my default breakfast at work. For a while I ate only cashews, but then I figured I'd better mix it up a bit with a variety of nuts for cost and nutrition reasons.

    ReplyDelete