Saturday, July 9, 2011

I DARE you to work out with this girl!

If you are a reader of this blog, then that means you are either my mother or someone who knows me equally as well (most likely) and therefore you know that the chickie-poo on the left of this picture is my cousin, Katie.  If you are that one person showing up on my stats from Russia, then let me introduce you to my cousin Katie!  She is one of my most favorite people.  She is also a hair stylist to my hairs.  And thirdly, she is a huge fitness inspiration to me!  So, a few weeks ago I was in Katie's salon for a little emergency hair help.  It turns out, the nitrates in the water at the mini-farm were destroying my hair during the time that our water softener was not functioning.  So Katie was nice enough to squeeze me in and do some repair work.  (The end result: soft, manageable hair.  She is so good...) While the conditioners were doing their thing, Katie and I were having some green tea and chatting and she suggested that we schedule some time to ride bikes together.  So on Saturday we did just that and it was great fun!  We left from Katie's house, in the southeast part of Lincoln and took various bike paths/sidewalks to the Haymarket where we had a light lunch of salad, hummus, and sangria at the Bread and Cup.  Next, we rode from the Haymarket to Lazlo's on 56th and Hwy 2 for a quick glass of white wine and lots of water, then back to Katie's.  I really wish I would have borrowed Brad's bike speedometer thingy, because that seemed like a lot of miles!  My legs (and bum-bones) were sore!  I had almost forgotten how great a bike ride can be.  I really like to run, but sometimes biking is the way to go, you can cover so much distance.  The bike trails in Lincoln have got to be one of my favorite things about this city.  Now that I got that taste of biking, I want more!  I want a bike for my birthday.  I want to learn how to properly use the gears.  I want padded shorts:)  Just kidding but really, ouch.  Another bonus to our workout is that we both got to cross something off of our goal list, which was to ride with traffic on the street in downtown Lincoln.  We were a little nervous about that!  A big thank you to Katie for the great idea and the great company on a hot Saturday afternoon.  Also, thanks to Alicia R for unknowingly letting me borrow her awesome bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment