Friday, July 15, 2011

Her Very Own Special Happy Birthday

Today was the day that the youngest member of this Van Boening family turned 2!  And what a day it was for her (and for her family:)  Brad and I were up late last night, wrapping her gifts, making breakfast muffins, and strategically placing a few balloons and streamers.  Its hard to know exactly how much an almost-2-year-old understands about birthdays, so we wanted her to know as soon as she woke up that today would be cooler than all the other days of the year.  We were also up early, as we wanted to be all ready for the day before Willa woke up so that we could enjoy the morning with her and not be too rushed.  For anyone who knows Brad, it is a miracle anytime he gets up before 8:25.  He must really like Willa. 
When we could wait no longer, we woke the sleeping beauty and dressed her.  Isn't that top just so birthdayish???  I think we overwhelmed her just a tad by going into her room and immediately telling her about all the fun that awaited her.  She handled it well.  If I had been woken with that same enthusiasm and noise, someone might have gotten punched in the face.  WOW, we are not morning people:)   First things first, opening the wrapped presents (which included a few movies, books, and tees), sampling the mocha-chip muffins, and wailing on the noisemakers.
And the BEST part of the early morning, taking the brand new, battery powered, Kawasaki 4 wheeler out for a spin!  That thing is awesome!  Initially, I didn't think she was going to like it.  She took one look at it and declared it to be "yowd".  That is Willa for "LOUD".  She does NOT like for things to be yowd.  She is not a fan of the vacuum, my little food processor, or the lawn mower.  Once we got it outside and papa showed her just what the go button would make it do though, she loved it!  She even sort of figured out how to steer it, after a few run-ins with my flowers and bushes.  It was so much fun watching her learn to make it go!  Too bad we had to go to work at all today:(  But not without a few family pictures.

If I would have been thinking, I would have had one of the friendly road-crew workers come and take a picture of us all together.  They have been hanging around our driveway all week!
The rest of Willa's morning/early afternoon were spent with Grandma and Grandpa Luth.  I believe a trip to Toys R Us and IHOP were on the agenda. 
Brad and I were both able to be done with work around 2:00 today, so we grabbed the birthday girl and took her home for a little nap.  Which turned into a long nap.  Which sort of interfered with plans to go to the Lincoln Children's Zoo.  REALLY wish that place would stay open past 5:00!  Ah well, the pool was just as fun!  We didn't get any pictures there but I can say that Willa is very anxious to be big enough to go off the diving board.  She did her best to convince us that she already is. 
After the pool, we hit up Chuckie Cheese.  I personally was very skeptical about this idea.  Brad was just sure that this was the best dinner option.  I didn't think they would have any games appropriate for a 2 year old and I thought it would be, well, annoying.  I'm glad I gave in, because it was a good time.  Willa loved all the games, even if she was a little young for them.  And there were plenty of little ride-on games that were perfect for her, especially this horse.  It was a little loud and chaotic, but that's ok for Special Birthday Day.  Sadly, this is pretty much where the day ended for me, the boring night shift worker.  It was time for my nap.  As I was headed to bed, Brad and Willa were becoming reacquainted with the 4 wheeler and the new Lightening McQueen toy in the driveway.  When I woke up from my nap, both of my buddies were falling asleep to Cars in the DVD player.  What a great day.  Willa is certainly no longer a baby, but a very intelligent, kind and caring toddler.  The night before her birthday, we looked through all of her little Shutterfly books that I have made for her and remembered things together which was very fun.  She was able to name all of the special people in her books.  Last year on her birthday, we watched her birth video.  I am, of course, very glad we have this video, however I am ok with not watching it very often.  It makes me cringe.  In the same way that I cringe every time I go into a cleaning clients bathroom who has just had a baby and I see that little squirty bottle and the bottle of numbing spray.  And the Tucks medicated pads.  Oh.  Dear.  God.  Bottom line is, even after all that...hemorrhoids and all...I love my little peanut more than I would have ever thought possible.  Happy birthday, Willa!


This is the prize she won at Chuckie Cheese for being a master at ski ball.  Its a pink spider.  Its what she wanted I swear.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment