Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oink


 We went out for dinner tonight at Bison Witch's.  That place is so good that I almost don't have words for it.  The veggie sandwich, the queso, mushroom soup.  I want to eat it again and that was only like 8 hours ago.
I'm talking about food because we have been cooking at home quite a bit lately, as part of the money saving plan.  Also, I love grocery shopping.  I would rather be in a grocery store than a mall.  Give me a really good grocery store and I might choose it over an amusement park.  I heard a rumor that Lincoln is getting a Whole Foods.  If this happens, and I go missing from time to time, you can bet that's where I am.  Just gazing at things like soy flax seed chips and vegan chipotle sausages.  Sometimes I wonder how I even have human  friends.
Anywho...Thought I would share a few of the new recipes that I have tried and loved, in case anyone else is on a "cook at home" kick!
Through Pinterest and the advice of kind friends, I have discovered the blog Oh She Glows, and my two favorite new recipes came from there.  First being the Creamy Avocado Pasta and second being the Sweet Potato Enchiladas.  Both were delicious.  I might have used a touch too much garlic in the pasta sauce, as it was a little heart-burny.  Next time I would just use one small clove instead of the giant clove that I chose.  Also, I just used whole wheat pasta and not the spelt or kamut pastas that the writer of the blog used.  Those sound fun to try though.  As for the enchiladas, man were they good!  The recipe says that it makes 4, but I think I made like 8 and put about 5 of them in the freezer, minus the avocado sauce on top.  Although my cousin Mandy taught me the other day that if you leave the pit in with the mashed avocados, it is supposed to keep them from turning brown.  Not sure for how long, but that's a fun little tip for avocado freaks like myself.  I also made a double batch of raspberry almond thumbprint cookies.  I took a few to wine night, as they just sounded like something that would go really well with a good red wine.  And they were.  The rest are in my freezer to take to dinner tonight, as I think I made a few empty promises right after Christmas to deliver more of them to certain friends.  I also have plans to whip up a big bowl of avocado/feta/tomato dip and maybe even play around with some buffalo wing tofu for Super Bowl Sunday.  I'm not exactly sure which teams are playing, but I hear there is going to be a cute dog in some of the commercials, and Madonna is performing at half time.  Sometimes looking at Madonna's 60 year old arms inspires me to do lots of push-ups.
Now you know what I have been eating for the last few weeks.  Cool, huh?  Maybe next week I'll tally up how many times I floss my teeth and then go on and on about it.

1 comment: