Saturday, August 6, 2011

Carbon and nitrogen decomposing stuff, just for turning 31?!? Yes, please!

I have always thought that birthdays are just too short.  I mean, its a big deal that you were born, right??? And there are 365 days in a year?  Why not take at least a week to celebrate your birthday?  Maybe not every minute of the whole week, but I do like to plan a few special things for myself during my birthday week.  The very beginning of my celebration was a gift from Brad of a new bike!  I won't elaborate on it too much, as I don't have pictures of it yet, but will soon.  Then came the bummer...I got sick and couldn't go on my big bike ride with Katie that we had planned weeks ago.  We were going to take the MoPac trail to Eagle (and beyond) but I got the crappy summer cold that was floating around.  So did Willa.  So, I spent the weekend working and sleeping and not riding my new bike.  On Tuesday, we had a little get together at our house, as my cousin Debbie was in town for the night on business from Denver.  It was a very nice time, complete with lots of pizza, desserts, and wine.  Thursday, the actual day of my birth, we enjoyed the farmer's market at Fallbrooke, and then dinner and drinks at Toast, which is quickly becoming my new favorite place to eat/drink/have coffee and muffins.  They have a fantastic veggie burger.  And fried pickles.  And Summer Shandy.  We get to cap off the birthday week tomorrow night with a pool party and BBQ with friends.  Willa wants to try the diving board for the first time!  Many, many thanks to those of you who participated in Allison's Birthday Week.  It was very enjoyable.  I am now well into my 30's.  Eek. 
You may be wondering why a post about my birthday started off with a picture of Willa standing next to a really cool looking tumbling composter.  You are so observant!!  That was my other gift from Willa and Brad.  I was not expecting it at all, but really did need one!  I have a little research to do on the proper proportions of the compostables, but I am looking forward to enriching my garden soil.  When we first moved into our new house, I ordered a small counter top composter from OXO, and I love it for collecting my cooking/kitchen scraps.  Now I have a place where I can dump it!  Thank you, Brad and Willa!  I know it just kills Brad to buy gifts that he doesn't think are "fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment