Sunday, February 10, 2013

One very special party


Today we helped to celebrate some really amazing milestones.  I try to shy away from using the word amazing these days, as I think it gets over-used, but it applies here.  We came together with lots of family and friends for my Grandma Christensen's 90th birthday, which was today, and also to celebrate my Grandpa's upcoming 99th birthday, and their 72nd wedding anniversary.  Isn't that just the coolest?  To be married to someone for 72 years and still deeply in love and content to spend their days enjoying one another's company?  I think my grandparents' just may be my favorite people to be around.  Grandpa has the most impressive memory and best storytelling skills of anyone I have ever met.  He remembers seriously everything.  I'm positive he has told me the make and model of cars that his co-workers drove at his first jobs, some 70 or so years ago.  And my Grandma?  There is absolutely not a sweeter person on Earth.


The cousins that were present.  There's a lot of us:)  I counted the guest book and there were 148 guests that had signed in.  Quite the popular couple!





Toward the end of the party, my little lady made me smile.  She asked Brad where the presents were.  He explained that at parties for people who aren't kids, there usually aren't lots of presents but he did show her where the card basket was.  As soon as he showed her, she went to her backpack and pulled out a ziplock baggie that was full of little drawings she had made, a few paper hearts, and a piece of gum.  She put it on top of the pile of cards and went about her business.  When he asked her about it, she said "That's my present for Great Grandma."  After the party, she sat patiently by the card basket until Grandma had a chance to look at some of the cards and waited till she had looked through her baggie, then she went back to playing.  I thought it was a very kind gesture from a 3 year old.  But I'm a little biased:)  
What a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment